How do I obtain an absentee ballot?

Absentee Ballot Request Forms are available for the 2024 Presidential Primary here, or by visiting the Hanover Town Hall during business hours.  

Absentee Ballot Request forms can also be found on our website under Voting Information, or the voter may email the Town Clerk's Office or call at 603-640-3200 to have the form provided to them. From recent correspondence from the Office of the NH Secretary of State, we have learned the request form must be signed in ink on paper

The completed form may be returned as follows: 

There is an electronic process for voters who certify they have a print disability and, because of this disability, are unable to sign the application for absentee ballot.

Voters living overseas can apply for an absentee ballot using a Federal Postcard Application, or FPCA at any time throughout the year. These can be filled out, signed in ink on paper and emailed to Voters will receive their ballots by email, with instructions for filling out and mailing by post back to Hanover Town Hall.

In the State of New Hampshire, voting by absentee ballot is allowed only for the following reasons:

  • Physical disability or impairment
  • Religious observance
  • Absence from Town or City of residence on the day of election
  • Employment or family care obligations

Please note: "no excuse" absentee voting for convenience is not currently an option in New Hampshire.

Questions? Please email the Town Clerk's Office now!

Show All Answers

1. Where do I register to vote?
2. How do I obtain an absentee ballot?
3. Where do I vote?
4. I attend college in Hanover, can I vote here?
5. What paperwork should I bring with me when registering to vote?
6. How do I cast my absentee ballot?
7. Who do I contact to see about working at the polls on Election Day?